Los Angeles Czar Homeless, i.e., Special Mayoral Envoy
Listed are the ideal principles that Los Angeles City Attorney, the Hon. Mike Fuer has put forth to identify and commission a qualified individual to assist the Hon. Mayor Eric Garcettti and the City in the post of Czar Homeless, i.e., Special Mayoral Envoy (SME), to eradicate, chronic, sidewalk, encampment homelessness.
To combat the city’s persistent and lingering homelessness crisis, Mr. Fuer says,
“Voters of Los Angeles deserve effective, effective-driven, accountable, even impatient leadership on homelessness that is both focused and empowered to make things happen; and that doesn’t let up until tangible signs of progress are as prevalent as the encampments across our city.
The Czar Homeless (LACH), i.e., Special Mayoral Envoy (SME) will work closely with other jurisdictions and relentlessly push forward what the city has the power to control.
Los Angeles needs to appoint a senior-level official or field general who will:
- lead the charge in getting facilities for the homeless built at a much faster pace;
- someone who can operate like a top-level, federal official responding to disaster situations such as hurricanes;
- someone who has experience with complicated logistical issues, and who is “not going to take no for an answer;
- tackle the problem of potential community opposition to facilities serving the homeless, such as storage areas and temporary housing;
- would also approach the issue with greater urgency;
- would be able to get things done because he or she is someone “who lives and breathes this issue, who speaks with real horsepower and can deliver”;
- know how to cut through red tape;
- have gravitas, great listening skills, and the ability to bring together people with disparate views and steer them to consensus;
- comfortable with rough-and-tumble controversy and able to maneuver through political obstacles.